Second year of Collections Scheduled to Assist our Community in Need.
SALISBURY, MD– January, 2020– Apple Discount Drugs, a locally owned and operated Healthmart pharmacy serving the community for over 46 years, is pleased to announce the continuation of their “Pitch In” campaign. The campaign was launched last May, successfully collecting donations for community organizations and families in need. Over 60 bras were received and donated to the ladies at Halo shelter as well as mastectomy bras and prosthetics to Women Supporting Women. Three boxes of items for Operation We Care were shipped to our servicemen, 18 fully packed school back packs along with extra school supplies were taken to the Wicomico County Board of Education to be given to the children who needed them. A connection was made for US Kennels, INC, with Tail Bangers of Millsboro DE, to facilitate homemade dog treats to be delivered to the service dogs in training with our veterans at no charge. Two boxes of canned goods were delivered to the Maryland Food Bank. Three bags of hats, scarves, gloves, and socks were delivered to the Joseph House to be distributed. Lastly, in December several blankets were delivered to the folks sleeping at the Halo shelter, as well as a big box of canned goods to the café there.
“Apple saw firsthand how generous our community, as well as how great the need is out here locally,” said Tish Withers, marketing director, Apple Discount Drugs. “We aren’t finished! We don’t want to exhaust anyone posting about our campaign, however if only two items are donated, that may be the two that make a difference in someone’s life. We will continue as a team here at the store to donate, and we will encourage our community to pitch in what they can. The “Pitch In” campaign offers convenient locations for people to drop off donations when they stop into one of our stores for their prescriptions or other healthcare items. We will continue to take care of the rest and make sure the donations are distributed to the appropriate organizations, churches, schools and shelters.”
Apple Discount Drugs will be collecting new items each month to donate to pre-arranged local organizations.
This Year’s Monthly “Pitch In” Line Up:
- January: Toiletry Items (travel sized toothbrushes, wet wipes, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, lotion, toothpaste) for temporary shelter residents. These items will be divided between local shelters.
- February: New Stuffed animals to be donated to local EMS for distribution as needed during emergency residential calls, accidents or rescues. Helping our Fireman/Paramedics/Police show love to our little young people when they need a friend to hold onto during a scary time.
- March: Children’s Books—to be distributed to the Judy Center’s children for them to keep.
- April: Pet leashes, blankets, toys, food, treats, wipes for paws, towels, beds for the Wicomico Humane Society.
- May: Recycled or New Bras for Halo shelter, and Mastectomy style bras for Women Supporting Women.
- June: Kid Friendly Pantry Food, Mac n cheese, Soup, Apple Sauce, Fruit cups, Granola Bars, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Juice Boxes, Snacks, Spaghetti O’s, Ravioli, Beef Stew. We are “Feeding Kids on Summer Break” w/ the Md Food Bank and Wico. County Board of Ed
- July: Donations for Veterans such as blankets, gift cards, or items for their service dogs such as toys, treats, leashes, pet store gift cards. Donations for US Kennels, Inc.
- August: Back to school supplies and backpacks to be donated to the Wicomico Board of Education as well as Worcester County BOE for items donated at the Berlin and Snowhill stores.
- September: Baby Pantry Items: diapers, wet ones, pacifiers, small toys, new baby bottles. Baby items for delivery to low income parents locally.
- October: Canned goods for the local Food Bank.
- November: Hats, gloves and scarves to be donated to The Joseph House.
- December: Blankets for local homeless. Divided between
For more information call Apple Discount Drugs at 410/749-8401 or follow us on Facebook.