(Sept. 16, 2019) The annual “Holiday Gifts for Soldiers” collection by local nonprofit Star Charities will run this year from Oct. 1 through Oct. 31.
Star Charities volunteers will place black collection buckets in Ocean Pines at the Community Center, Sports Core Pool and Manklin Meadows Racquets Sports Complex.
Additional collection containers will be available at the libraries in Ocean Pines and Ocean City, as well as at the Gold Coast Mall in Ocean City, Worcester County Arts Council in Berlin, and First Shore Federal Savings & Loan on Racetrack Road.
All items collected will go to U.S. Armed Forces soldiers serving outside the United States.
Suggested donation items include:
• Chewing gum, hard candy and nuts
• Powdered iced tea, Gatorade and lemonade
• Sunglasses, cards, games, puzzle books, paperback books and current magazines
• Men’s/women’s toiletries including deodorant, body/foot powder, toothbrushes and toothpaste, mouthwash and floss
• Feminine products
• Tylenol, Advil and Tums (antacids)
• Bar soap, washcloths, hand towels, wet towels, body/lip sunscreen and cotton socks
No glass or perishable items will be accepted.
Star Charities founder Anna Foultz said international calling cards are especially sought after.
“This provides a soldier a call home to family,” she said. “Should you be so generous as to donate a phone card, please do not place in buckets, but call” Foultz at 410-641-7667, or email Sue Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Salisbury National Guard will pick up collection buckets in November and prepare them for shipping to overseas U.S. Military bases.
“Please keep the men and women who protect us in your thoughts as we enter the holiday season,” Foultz said. “Any donation, however small, will be so greatly appreciated. Let’s fill these buckets!”